Thursday, April 19, 2012

Earthday Invites

Across the globe ‘Green and Clean’ events are in full swing as we humans get back in touch with dear ol’ Mother Nature! I’m here today to invite you to two special events that are happening over this coming weekend…

Last year, I wrote a small series of stories to raise awareness about an environmental issue that is happening in the area where I grew up, just north of Toronto.

History of the Mega-Quarry issue:
http://bitsandpeaces08.blogspot.ca/2011/06/dufferin-county-jobs-and-destruction.html

Since then (what over 40, 000 people have been doing about this):
http://bitsandpeaces08.blogspot.ca/2011/10/foodstock.html


Now:
The View From Here – Artists Against the Mega-Quarry
Art Exhibition and Sale
Evening Event with local food and live music… and of course, lots of art.
Saturday, April 21st, 2012
7pm – 10pm
Honeywood Arena, Honeywood, Ontario
Tickets are $20.00 and to get them you should email viewfromhere2012@gmail.com – although if you just showed up I imagine that you’d be able to buy a ticket at the door.

This event continues on Earthday, April 22, 2012 from 11am to 5pm for viewing, buying and bidding (auction style) on the many artworks that have been created to support this cause.


I was hoping to be able to attend this event, but I have other events, here in London, that are going to be keeping me rather busy. However, I was able to create a copy of one of my landscapes inspired by this region of Ontario, to donate to this effort. I won’t be in attendance but one of my artworks will be!


This coming Sunday, April 22, 2012 from 11am to 3pm I will be planting trees at Watson Park, London, Ontario. Watson Park is on the east side of Wellington Road, between South St. and Grand Ave.


Last year, they had a Birds of Prey display and talk with many amazing feathered friends.


Throughout the day, everyone got involved with creating this unique art display using pine cones, broken branches and dried grasses.

There was a bbq stand to keep our bellies full, jugglers and face painters to keep our faces smiling and reporters snapping pics and chatting with all the families about how much fun it is to do positive things to care for our Earth.


If you are in the area, drop by and help me plant a tree – I will have my pockets full of Peace Stik-ers to share with you!

Jim

No comments: